A vintage ships bearing plate used as a navigational aid dating to around 1930 housed in a mahogany purpose built box with iron swivel clasps and leather strap. The lid is marked 'PATT 42 BEARING PLATE. NO.' in stencil typeface. The enamelled gimbal allows for readings on rough seas. There is a rotating outer course dial encompassing the 10cm main compass face with an engraved fleur de lis, folding azimuth plate with sighting line and a pair of sun shades. Box measures 21cm x 21cm x 15cm.