Two superbly painted commemorative liferings - 'NORTH WEST - BUFFALO NY' and ''ESKIMO - HULL'
Written on the reverse of the ESKIMO ring is ''Ellerman Wilson Line, Hull, York, Built 1903. Painted in Norge 1904. To Teryy from Grandad and Granma, 1964. Captured by the German Navy in 1917. Cut in two and converted into Raiders.'
The North West began its life as one of the finest passenger steamers ever built for service on the Great Lakes -- and, after a series of unusual events, ended that life by being torpedoed by the Germans during World War II. The twin-screw North West was launched in 1894 in Cleveland by the Globe Iron Works Co. for the Northern Steamship Co. She was furnished and decked out in Buffalo, the hometown of Northern Steamship.
The "Eskimo" was built by Earle's Shipbuilding in Hull in 1910. In 1914 she was taken over by the Royal Navy, renamed H.M.S. Eskimo. returned to Wilson line in 1915. Captured July 26 - 1916, by the German Auxiliary Cruiser Mowe, at Risør Norway. Returned to the company in 1919. Sold to French owners in 1921, and scrapped in 1929.
Both signed Olafig Krano ? Measure 22cm diameter.